FOOTBALL -- Update From Glasgow Port Boys' Club

2008s -- The boys played their last game before the winter shutdown at Parklea and were pitched against Port Juniors. With a full squad to choose from the team was raring to go. In the tight opening stages, both teams traded passes and chances with a big crowd encouraging both sets of boys from behind the goals.

Oliver and Louis won every 50/50 ball and blocked all advances towards goal. Sam broke the deadlock after a spell of pressure, side-footing into the net after being set up by Logan from the left. As half-time approached, Port Juniors were level after a fine run by Alex supported by Ben and a good finish past Euan.

The second half saw Port Boys make some changes and Ben and Michael were particularly effective running, tackling and providing chances for Cameron up front, Ben scored with a fine lob and, soon after, Leo crowned a man of the match performance with a rasping right foot shot into the bottom corner. 

Oliver and Zack continued to keep the defence tight and Max came in to shore up the midfield. Logan completed the scoring late on with a fine run and finish. Both sets of players deserve credit for a great match.

2004s -- The team is looking for boys for defence, midfield and attacking positions to strengthen the squad. The team plays in the Paisley, Johnstone and District Youth Football League Second Division. Training is on Tuesdays, 5.30 to 7pm, and Thursdays, 6 to 7.30pm, at Parklea. Those interested should call Barry on 07756 822208.

2003s Westerton United 1 Port Glasgow BC 0

Port travelled to Bearsden for a first round tie in the SYFA West Region Cup. Lewis Leitch was first to threaten the Westerton goal when he ran on to a pass from the left but his shot was well saved by the keeper. 

Josh Miller nearly scored after 20 minutes but the keeper made a fine save turning the ball round the post.  Westerton had a chance with a free kick but the Port defence, well marshalled by Sean Doherty, stepped out as one and caught them offside. 

Ryan O'Connor shot just wide after 35 minutes but Port lost a goal just before half-time when Luke Cunningham made a great save from a close-range shot but their forward followed up to score. 

Port had a chance soon after the re-start when Josh Miller and Lewis Leitch linked up well and but the shot went narrowly over. Port continued to press for the equaliser but were unable to score despite a number of free kicks and corners. 

Port Glasgow Boys Club 2003s are sponsored by Ensite Business Technology.

Under-17s Lenzie 1 Port Glasgow BC 1

Looking to keep their unbeaten run intact, Port travelled to Lenzie for their next league game. Port started with a very high tempo. This was short-lived when, in the eighth minute, the referee made a shocking decision and sent off Port's Josh Lafferty; he later admitted that he made a mistake. 

Port then had to compete for the rest of the game with 10 men. This made Port lift their game even more and they were rewarded for their efforts midway through the half. Josh McAuslan sent in a corner which was cleared but only as far as Jack Anderson. Jack shot but it was deflected in to the path of David McLennan who made no mistake in putting Port in front. Lenzie then got their first real chance when they floated a corner in to the box but Lewis McClure was on hand to pull off a good save. Jamie McIntyre then sent a good ball in to the box which Ryan Phillips just couldn't get his head to. Lenzie went straight on the counter-attack and ended up one-on-one with Port keeper Lewis McClure who pulled off a great save.

In the second half, Lenzie made more use of having the extra man. Port had keeper Lewis McClure to thank twice when he pulled off great saves to keep Port in the game. The Port defence was also soaking up the pressure well but, with about five minutes left, Lenzie made the extra man count. A good ball in to the box was found by an unmarked man to draw them level. Port had one last chance to take the win when good work from Ciaran Gavin saw him win a free kick just outside the box but David McLennan sent the free kick just over the bar.

All 13 boys should take great pride in their efforts to play almost 90 minutes with 10 men and almost take the three points home.

Referee's Man of the Match -- Scott MacLeod

The team thank sponsors JD External Building Services, Inverweld and McKinnon Bros. Property Maintenance

About Helix

Ball tip biltong pork belly frankfurter shankle jerky leberkas pig kielbasa kay boudin alcatra short loin.

Jowl salami leberkas turkey pork brisket meatball turducken flank bilto porke belly ball tip. pork belly frankf urtane bilto